We have implemented a flexible approach to working arrangements and locations that operates on the Microsoft Platform and, where possible, we are upgrading our systems to be cloud-based. This improves efficiency and equips our employees to undertake their roles effectively and efficiently whether they are working in the office or in other locations
We have a Bring Your Own Device and Mobile Allowance policy, which we encourage candidates to read in conjunction with the position description.
Covid-19 Vaccination Status
It is a requirement for all local government employees in Victoria to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and evidence must be provided by the preferred candidate prior to an offer of employment.
About this role
This full time fixed term position is responsible for ensuring Council’s emergency preparedness and responsibilities for delivering municipal fire management functions are met.
- Work with relevant council staff, other agencies and other key stakeholders to develop strategic and operational plans to introduce measurable improvements in community safety.
- Work with CFA and other stakeholders to assess suitability, and identify Neighbourhood Safer Places (places of last resort) within the municipality.
- Ensure Council’s Service Standards are met, customers requests are handled efficiently in a knowledgeable, confidential and timely manner ensuring delivery is responsive, first point issue resolution and customer centric.
- Engage with communities, community groups and associated agencies to include them in the planning and implementation processes.
- Develop, implement and review Council’s Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP), Municipal Fire Management Plan (MFMP) and other MEMP sub plans to ensure Council’s emergency management and fire management statutory obligations, functions and processes are met.
- Develop and implement systems to ensure that Council’s statutory requirements such as fire hazard inspections are met.
- Regularly report on the activity and outcomes against the agreed priorities and work plan.
- Contribute to the identification and delivery of regional priorities through the appropriate regional planning structures.
- Ensure Council’s responsibilities under relevant legislation and guiding documents are incorporated in the Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP) and reporting requirements are met.
- Convene the Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee and any associated sub committees with relevant agencies.
- Support the improvement and streamlining of Council processes to ensure an integrated approach to fire planning within council and across initiatives.
- Maintain regular engagement with the MAV Emergency Management team and the network of Emergency Management / Fire Officers.
- Coordinate and support staff training in relation to the Municipal Emergency Coordination Centre (MECC).
- Undertake the role of Duty Municipal Emergency Resource Officer (MERO) and Municipal Fire Prevention Officer (MFPO).
- Undertake an emergency response role during an emergency incident as required.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant process control documents and ensure that appropriate standards and work method statements are adopted to achieve adequate safety and environmental controls.
- Perform, as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
- Formal qualifications in emergency and or risk management or a related discipline is desirable. Where no qualification exists the applicant must demonstrate significant experience in the field of risk management, emergency and/or project management.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to develop ideas into logical written communication, reports, plans and proposals.
- Ability to manage complex conflicting work demands and meet demanding timelines.
- Strong risk analysis skills with particular emphasis on community safety outcomes.
- Broad technical knowledge of fire in the environment.
How to apply
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process
If you’d like to know more contact David George, Manager Community Safety & Amenity at [email protected] or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 12.00pm Monday 10th January 2022
Northern Grampians Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer