Are you outgoing, creative and passionate? This is the role for you!
We are looking for an enthusiastic, people-oriented dynamo to join the SSAC team! Training will be provided for the right person, so if you have the passion to work in the recreation and leisure sector, but don’t have all the qualifications, we’re keen to hear from you!
Working a Tuesday to Saturday roster, the position is responsible for ensuring that the Stawell Sports and Aquatics Centre aquatics and fitness programs run smoothly and effectively, that services meet membership needs and that all equipment is well maintained, safe, clean and operational.
Position Recreation and Leisure Officer
Job Type Permanent Full Time
Package $59,000 – $64,000 per annum plus superannuation
Closing Applications close Monday 12 February 2024
About Northern Grampians Shire Council
Northern Grampians Shire Council has a diverse employment base, across 14 worksites in the Grampians Region of Victoria. We offer flexible work arrangements, providing access to relevant training and professional development opportunities with a variety of employee benefits. We promote innovation, responsiveness, respectfulness and continuous improvement as our core values. Being a smaller organisation, we can provide you with opportunities to act in leadership roles, transition between teams and participate in a range of collaborative projects with other team members or the wider community. We provide a supportive and flexible environment that values the balance between work and our employees’ personal lives.
Why join us?
In addition to the picturesque landscapes at our backdoor, there are many other benefits to working for our innovative and vibrant Northern Grampians Shire Council. These include:
- Fortnightly RDO: Enjoy a well-deserved break and rejuvenate.
- Great Team Environment: A safe, respectful and supportive environment to enable you to thrive. You will work with like-minded, passionate individuals who love what they do.
- Professional Growth: We nurture talent and provide opportunities to flourish.
- Flexible Work Arrangements: To support your work life balance.
- Salary Packaging Options: Including remote area housing allowances and novated lease vehicles
- Access to Paid Leave: including purchased leave, paid parental leave, gender affirmation leave and to respond to family violence matters
- Employee Assistance Program: Your well-being matters – we’ve got you covered.
- Biodiversity: Explore our Council region’s varied flora and fauna
This position is responsible for ensuring that the Stawell Sports and Aquatics Centre aquatics and fitness programs run smoothly and effectively, that services meet membership needs and that all equipment is well maintained, safe, clean and operational.
- Ensure Council services Standards are met, customer requests are handled efficiently in a knowledgeable, confidential and timely manner ensuring delivery is responsive, first point issue resolution and customer centric.
- Assist the Team Leader Stawell Sports and Aquatics Centre by ensuring the aquatics and stadium sports programs run smoothly, cost efficiently and within budget.
- Undertake supervision of pool patrons and user groups to ensure water safety in accordance with council policies and procedures, Royal Life Saving Society Australia (RLSSA) guidelines for safe pool operations and industry standards and practice.
- Undertake Learn to Swim activities and programs as rostered.
- Undertake the responsibilities of Duty Manager as rostered.
- Provide customer and administrative services, including centre booking allocations, accounts payable and receivable functions, and stock and quality control of kiosk merchandise.
- Assist with the responsibility for the overall pool plant and equipment operation and ensure that appropriate operational and maintenance activities are carried out for indoor pools/spa and seasonal pools in Stawell and St Arnaud as required in the Victorian Pool Operators Handbook and Guide to Safe Pool Operations guidelines.
- Assist in the compliance of shower, toilet, change room facilities and centre active areas as required within the regulations of the Building Code of Australia, child safe standards and other relevant regulations.
- Ensure that premises have adequate facilities for sanitation or personal hygiene. Toilets, showers, change rooms and fixtures within should be kept in good condition and should be thoroughly cleaned as often as is necessary to maintain them in a clean condition at all times, including:
- ensure loose rubbish is constantly cleared from the facility floor
- ensure the pool deck, change rooms and toilet facilities are left in a hygienic manner
- undertake centre housekeeping duties as required
- maintain equipment as outlined in care instructions on a continual basis
- Assist with the assessment of any risks to the health, safety or welfare of employees and other persons at work and patrons of the centre including timely and accurate recording and reporting of all accidents, incidents and customer complaints.
- Assist in the training of other employees to ensure those left in charge have a working knowledge of the regulations and can ensure that the treatment plant continues to provide pool water that meets safe operating standards.
- Supervise and coach facility employees to achieve and meet organisational goals and objectives, complying with all related guidelines, policies, procedures and work instructions.
- Perform as directed, other duties that are within the limits of the incumbents’ skill, competence and training.
Qualifications and experience
- RLSSA Bronze Medallion
- Current Pool Lifeguard qualifications
- Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) recognised resuscitation certification
- Current Level 2 first aid certification
- Sound knowledge of pool supervision, water safety, water education, first aid, resuscitation and rescue techniques and public safety requirements
- Overall knowledge and appreciation of codes of practice, legislative requirements and health safety regulations relating to the operations of an aquatic facility
- Proficiency in the application of water treatment
- Commitment and ability to deliver quality customer service
Selection criteria – must be addressed in question section of application in order to be considered * Ability to accurately interpret the Victorian Pool Operators Handbook and Guide to Safe Pool Operations guidelines in the safe management of a public swimming facility.
- Understanding of pool supervision, water safety, water education, first aid, resuscitation and rescue techniques and public safety requirements.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively and positively as a member of a team.
- Ability to accurately complete basic administration tasks, check lists and reports, and to navigate software applications competently
How to apply
- Download and read the
- Download and read the
- Please address the key selection criteria in your cover letter and use the criteria to guide your responses to the questionnaire.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
- Submit your application by following the process on this page.
If you’d like to know more contact Sam Winter, Coordinator SSAC at [email protected] or call 03 5358 8700.
Applications close 11.30 am Monday 12 February 2024
Northern Grampians Shire Council is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to providing a safe workplace that embraces and values child safety.